Saturday, June 20, 2009

Don’t throw it out!

For the past year, I have been trying to learn how to play guitar. Emphasis on TRYING. I haven’t gotten very far. My callouses have formed, gone away, and come back. I learned three chords, forgot them, and then learned them again (along with a few others). Most of the time my guitar collects dust that falls from my bulletin board, and that’s about it.

However, lately, I have resolved to try and play more, since I got a teach-yourself DVD three months ago. I’ve been stuck on lesson one ever since. I might as well admit it: I’m really that bad. THREE MONTHS! Okay, admittedly, I haven’t played an hour every day like I should have, but the fact that I’ve been stuck on the same lesson for a quarter of a year has me wondering if I should even be trying to learn this instrument.

Today, I got my confirmation that yes, I should be trying to learn.



See that sticker on the bottom there? It is an image of a trash can with an “X” over it. It means DO NOT THROW THIS GUITAR AWAY. No matter how bad you are, you CANNOT get rid of it. You are stuck now. You must play. You cannot give up.

So obviously, throwing my guitar out is not an option. I have no choice but to go forward and try to switch chords faster. I feel like weeping when I read ahead in the DVD’s companion book (maybe I shouldn’t be reading ahead), but since that sticker is on the back of my guitar, I know I can’t quit, and I might as well find out what I’m getting myself into.

1 comment: